Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2016 00:56:29(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Release Candidate: SMath Studio 0.98.6096 available

Latest changes (against SMath Studio 0.98.6089)

• Added ability to retrieve submatrix of specified rows and columns using ranges within el(..) function;
    submatrix_via_el_1.png
  • Plug-ins management improved to support single Extensions folder by multiple versions of SMath Studio (extensions installed for newer SMath Studio versions will not break previous installations anymore);
  • Protected Area Regions fully supported in SMath Viewer applications now;
  • [SV-2396]: Possible exceptions on language change in SMath Viewer fixed;
  • [SS-15], [SS-2384]: Handling of zero, infinity and strings by symbolic library improved;
  • Plug-ins compatibility dialog now always shown on top of other windows because it is not displayed in taskbar and can be lost from users view;
  • Missing required parenthesis when using Calculations menu items fixed.

Download

Edited by user 10 September 2016 18:51:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 10 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 10/09/2016(UTC),  on 12/09/2016(UTC),  on 12/09/2016(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline uni  
#2 Posted : 10 September 2016 11:06:18(UTC)
uni

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1274 time(s) in 745 post(s)
Same link for the linux version?
Russia ☭ forever
Viacheslav N. Mezentsev
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 10 September 2016 18:52:43(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Thank you. Url corrected.
Offline mkraska  
#4 Posted : 10 September 2016 20:44:44(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
The plugin Hyperlink Region fails to install in the portable version (linux version + portable.version file).
The remove (dustbin) button does not work (plugin remains in the list)

The indicated version is different from the one offered in the installed SMath (6011.17119)

Edit: Also no success with the following plugins in the portable version (no problems in the installer version)

SQLite
Text Region Utilities

hyperfail.PNG

Edited by user 10 September 2016 21:14:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2016 00:14:44(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Martin, thank you!

I've finally reproduced issue you have mentioned. It happened because you have put not supported HyperlinkRegion.dll version directly into plugins directory.

• First of all, Hyperlink Region ver. 1.0.5958.15351 not supported by latest version of SMath Studio. You have to use beta version (please see http://en.smath.info/view/HyperlinkRegion for the link).
  • Second, plugins directory designed to support only plug-ins which are 100% compatible with current version of SMath Studio (usually you can find only built-in plig-ins). All others are better to put under extensions\plugins\<GUID>\<PLUGIN.VERSION>\, even if we are talking about portable version. But be aware, in addition to such a complex path config.<SS_VERSIION>.ini must be available under extensions\plugins\<GUID>\ and it should contain a text with version (i.e. folder) of the plug-in to use.

Regarding item 2: to understand it properly just try to install any plug-in using Extensions Manager and then go to extensions folder next to SMath Studio EXE (if portable.version exists) or to %APPDATA%\SMath\extensions (otherwise).

So, if you will correct location of the HyperlinkRegion.dll (and other plug-ins manually put into plugins folder) issue will gone.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 12/09/2016(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2016 08:48:44(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post
Martin, thank you!

Thank you Andrey. Your response reminded me that I simply forgot to activate the beta versions in the online gallery. This might have lead to different experiences in the update manager between the installer version (where beta versions were activated) and the portable version.

I didn't mess around with the hyperlink region but manually exchanged the contents of the Maxima plugin directory for test purposes.

I'll do a second install of the portable version and see if I get a clean set of plug-ins with the betas activated.

Edit: Test results for a new installation.
- download linux version
- add empty portable.region file
- open SMath
- Tools> Plugins: Online gallery, unselect "exclude beta versions"
Install plugins in the following order:
Checkbox region
Checkbox list region
Combobox region
Combobox list region
Conditional Expression...
CF label
Currency units
Custom functions
Custom glyphs
Data exchange
Development tools
DotNumerics
Excel files
Excel IO
FFTpack
Gnu Scientific lib
GPC Wrapper
Hyperlink region
Image region
Mathcad file access
Maxima (fail)
Modeller
Nonlinear Solvers
Numeric UD
Octave
ODE Solvers
PDF files
Pie chart region
Slider region
Snapshot region
SQLite (fail)
Statistical tools
Text region utilities (fail)
Writer region
XLSX import/export
X-Y plot region

Close SMath and restart:

Maxima
SQLite

Close the dialog

Check for Text region utilities -> Insert> Text region utilities> add.. Dialog works.
No idea why the fail message appeared upon installation.
In the extension manager it is green now.

Next action: Test Maxima Plugin

- tools> Plugins> Interactive books> online gallery, download Interactive SMath Handbook, check use by default. Press "open"
- Launch interactive handbook: [?] Plugins, in plugins page follow link to plugin dir (green button next to plugin name (Maxima)
- Close SMath (otherwise you can't remove the Maxima dll in the plugin dir)
- Exchange contents of the single subdirectory by the contents of SVN 2175 version (see SS 2347
- Start SMath

Main restrictions of this Maxima version: No replacement of sum(4), det(), int(4) and diff(2) and diff(3) due to changed policy in SMath. The remainder seems to work more or less. Thanks to Davide for fixing compatibility issues!

Edited by user 12 September 2016 09:43:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 13/09/2016(UTC)
Offline tomtit  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2016 19:08:19(UTC)
tomtit

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Andrey,

This simple example reports an error in 9096.
I found it in a few worksheets.

test.png test.sm (3kb) downloaded 73 time(s).

Best regards.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2016 23:22:36(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

tomtit,

It is an issue of cases(..) function defined in Custom Functions plug-in. Issue is not related to specific version of the program.
F.e. you can try to use if(..) instead of cases(..) to see how it should really behave.

Best regards.
Offline tomtit  
#9 Posted : 12 September 2016 23:37:38(UTC)
tomtit

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Andrey,

Sorry, I thought it was related to 9096, because of it was working fine with the Smath version couple of days older.
Has the plugin changed ? I didn't notice it.

Thanks
Offline CBG  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2016 00:16:34(UTC)
CBG

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 58 post(s)
The problem is that a7 is not defined , does not exist in the matrix.

Best Regards

Carlos

Cases.png
Offline Davide Carpi  
#11 Posted : 13 September 2016 01:22:50(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
The attachment (k<5) is different from the screenshot (k>5). The logic in the attachment works correctly and has no changes in behavior.

In the case of k>5 as condition (screenshot above), this happens because cases is running in symbolic evaluation and because this:
Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post
[SS-15], [SS-2384]: Handling of zero, infinity and strings by symbolic library improved;

Handling of zero is changed with symbolic evaluation (internal of cases: sum of booleans); before everything multiplied by 0 was considered 0 (that was a bug), hence no exception was thrown before this version.

fix for cases: switch to numerical evaluation if you are outside of a programming function, use eval() otherwise

2016-09-13 00_40_41-SMath Studio Desktop - [Page1_].png

I can change cases(...) to works always numerically, but I'd break the back-compatibility (mainly this feature was designed to work with piecewise functions inside integrals; maybe wouldn't be a big deal, let me know what do you think guys, better in the official topic, since it is no matter of SS itself)

edit: nevermind, I think I found a way to have a uniform behavior without breaking the back-compatibility Good

Edited by user 13 September 2016 18:04:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 2 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 13/09/2016(UTC),  on 13/09/2016(UTC)
Offline ricardo suarez  
#12 Posted : 13 September 2016 07:23:25(UTC)
ricardo suarez

Spain

Thanks!! my regards

Ricardo Suarez Caballero
Director Formativo en IIEMD.com - Marketing Digital
Offline omorr  
#13 Posted : 13 September 2016 14:57:36(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Hello Martin,

I thank you for this testing the possible continuing on the portable version (I reproduced your instructions), but I have to admit that having a portable version with the plugins (which I would prefer) is quite a mess at the moment.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline mkraska  
#14 Posted : 13 September 2016 15:41:45(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
Hello Martin,

I thank you for this testing the possible continuing on the portable version (I reproduced your instructions), but I have to admit that having a portable version with the plugins (which I would prefer) is quite a mess at the moment.

Regards,
Radovan

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean is a mess?

The process of getting a portable version (installation) or the result/user experience?

Once the image region is fixed and the interactive handbook updated, I can make a new portable version for download. Then getting the distribution would be easy.

If the result is a mess - what could be improved?
Martin Kraska

Offline omorr  
#15 Posted : 13 September 2016 16:24:43(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post
Hello Martin,

Regards,
Radovan

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean is a mess?

The process of getting a portable version (installation) or the result/user experience?

Once the image region is fixed and the interactive handbook updated, I can make a new portable version for download. Then getting the distribution would be easy.

If the result is a mess - what could be improved?

I am very grateful to you for having in mind and keeping the idea of making a portable, downloadable version - the most easy way of using SMATH (IMHO) . I just have a feeling as a user - not developer (might be wrong, of course) that there were so many changes regarding plugins inside SMath that the plugin makers had quite a lot of troubles to cope with them. To repeat, I just have an impression of that and just want that SMath get into some "calm waters" after such a long time, nothing else.

Regarding the improvements, we had quite a many comments about it. For example, many times mentioned, but there is still quite a critical problem to have an efficient tracking of the SMath functions - "which one is which, and what they do?", regarding the plugins. I do not have the answer how to solve this.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline mkraska  
#16 Posted : 13 September 2016 17:29:37(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I am very grateful to you for having in mind and keeping the idea of making a portable, downloadable version - the most easy way of using SMATH (IMHO) . I just have a feeling as a user - not developer (might be wrong, of course) that there were so many changes regarding plugins inside SMath that the plugin makers had quite a lot of troubles to cope with them. To repeat, I just have an impression of that and just want that SMath get into some "calm waters" after such a long time, nothing else.

Regarding the improvements, we had quite a many comments about it. For example, many times mentioned, but there is still quite a critical problem to have an efficient tracking of the SMath functions - "which one is which, and what they do?", regarding the plugins. I do not have the answer how to solve this.

Regards,
Radovan

As to the tracking of the functions:
- An important improvement was that the dynamic assistant now shows the name of the plugin, where the function is defined. That helps a lot in searching for documentation or for reporting bugs.
- Every plugin developer can specify, what explanation the dynamic assistant shows. Some care more about this, some care less. Perhaps you can't expect uni to write custom strings for all the bulk function libs, which he wrote interfaces for.
- Davide has started to contribute pages on his plugins for the interactive handbook, that will also improve the access to documentation.

For me, a weak point (and a nightmare for teaching) of SMath is the complex logic of user function definition. Davide's handbook in the extension manager would be helpful, if I was capable to memorize all the side effects and name space particularities, which he really tried hard to explain. Would be nice if we could just get along without all these underscores, apostrophes, hashmarks and the like, which are there just to prevent them from eventually coinciding with outer space names...
I still remember how upset I was when I realized, that names of dummy parameters in function definitions matter! Took me almost as long as to find out how to input 1..3

Martin Kraska

thanks 3 users thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 13/09/2016(UTC),  on 13/09/2016(UTC),  on 25/09/2016(UTC)