Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2010 19:10:31(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Hello.

Today I'm working on the plugin to make it possible to read/write data from/to the Excel files. Here is a first screenshot of how it will look like:

Estimation: Plugin will be available in about 3 hours.

Edited by user 14 August 2010 19:14:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2010 21:08:39(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Plugin is ready for testing/using:
ExcelCollab.0_89.Plugin.Bin.zip (Date: 14.08.2010. File size: 49.34KB) - * To copy .dll file from archive to the "plugins" folder of SMath Studio installation directory.

Best regards, Andrey Ivashov.

Edited by user 14 August 2010 21:13:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2010 23:24:00(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Thanks Andrey Good

I played a bit and it works for me very nice. I have portable version here and I put the dll file it in the "Xenocede ...\@APPDIR@\plugins" folder.

Might be redundant to say, but using both functions require to have the existing Excel file ('fileName'Wink, and the existing sheet in it (sheetName).

Regards,
Radovan

P.S. A simple example

Edited by user 15 August 2010 00:05:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline waluyo  
#4 Posted : 15 August 2010 14:12:23(UTC)
waluyo

Groups: Registered
Man
Indonesia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Andrey

Would it possible for Linux users using Open Office Spreadsheet ?
OpenOffice has version on Windows as well. This much more general and applicable in multi OS.

Regards
Waluyo
Offline omorr  
#5 Posted : 15 August 2010 14:44:46(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello Waluyo,
waluyo wrote:
Would it possible for Linux users using Open Office Spreadsheet ?
OpenOffice has version on Windows as well. This much more general and applicable in multi OS.

I agree with you, and would like to have plugin for Calc as well. At the moment for Windows users there is not a problem (I tested it a bit). You can export an Excel file from Calc and work with it in SMath. Then you can import in Calc the changed Excel file.

I did not try this in Linux yet, but I suppose that would be possible in Linux as well - not sure.

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 15 August 2010 17:20:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jhardy1  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2010 07:43:19(UTC)
jhardy1

smath wrote:
ExcelCollab.0_89.Plugin.Bin.zip (Date: 14.08.2010. File size: 49.34KB) - * To copy .dll file from archive to the "plugins" folder of SMath Studio installation directory.

Andrey,

I have down-loaded and installed the plug-in, but whenever I try to use the "cellImport" function, I get an message that the "File doesn't exist". I am sure that the path name, file name, and sheet name are all correct. Have I done something wrong?

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, with Microsoft Office 2010. I have tried both xls format and the newer xlsx format. Screen shot at the following link (sorry - I couldn't work out how to embed the image:

http://www.mediafire.com/?92pv9ncncq4s4x4

Edited by user 05 September 2010 07:54:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2010 13:56:15(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

jhardy1, unfortunately this plugin has a problem with exporting changes to *.xls files - after it saves anything the file will lost all formulas, only answers will exist on the sheet. So, maybe you do not want to use cellExport(..) function. If you're still need this function to work then it is more useful for me to get your Excel sheet so I could try to recreate an error message.

P.S.: One of the Russian Forum users are working to create another Excel plugin that will be free from such problems. I will inform here when work will be finished.

Edited by user 06 September 2010 04:20:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jhardy1  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2010 03:19:31(UTC)
jhardy1

jhardy1 wrote:
smath wrote:

Andrey,

I have down-loaded and installed the plug-in, but whenever I try to use the "cellImport" function, I get an message that the "File doesn't exist". I am sure that the path name, file name, and sheet name are all correct. Have I done something wrong?

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, with Microsoft Office 2010. I have tried both xls format and the newer xlsx format. Screen shot at the following link (sorry - I couldn't work out how to embed the image:

http://www.mediafire.com/?92pv9ncncq4s4x4

OK - just tested on my work laptop, and it works fine. Work lap-top is Windows XP SP3, running Excel 2007. I note that the plug-in only works for "*.xls" files, not for the newer "*.xlsx" format, but it is pretty easy to convert "xlsx" to "xls" using Excel if you need to use this capability.

Seems my problem on my home computer could be a Windows 7 issue, or maybe an Office 2010 issue, or an issue with my AntiVirus package at home?

Anyway, thanks Andrey for the warning about possible corruption of Excel files. As far as I can see, using the importCell function does not corrupt the xls file, but as you say, using exportCell over-writes the whole workbook (Note: not just the affected worksheet!) with values instead of the original formulae - use with great care!

Thanks!

Edited by user 06 September 2010 03:22:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline rsawaguchi  
#9 Posted : 15 September 2010 21:56:17(UTC)
rsawaguchi

Hi

I'm evaluating the possibility of replacing my Mathcad with Smath, then I have a question.

Today I use the MathCad into the Excel sending an retrieving data to Mathcad via VBA.

Is it possible to use Smath this way?

Below Is the VBA code that I use:

'Activate the Mathcad object
Dim obj As OLEObject
Set obj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects(1)
obj.Activate

'Get the Mathcad worksheet
Set Mcws = obj.Object.Worksheet

'send the matrix to Mathcad
Mcws.SetValue "Prop", Prop

'Execute code in Mathcad
Mcws.Recalculate

'Get MathCad results
Set Results = Mcws.GetValue("Results"Wink
Results(1, 1) = Results_MS.GetElement(0, 0)

I'd appreciate your help
Regards
Offline VER  
#10 Posted : 23 November 2010 16:23:14(UTC)
VER

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating SMath Studio and sofar I love it! We're also very willing to get rid of that other program....

I'm very interested in the Excel plugin, but I'm getting the following error: "Error occured while trying to load third-party assembly. Plugin disabled etc..."

I'm running 89.8

Thanks
Offline omorr  
#11 Posted : 23 November 2010 17:07:26(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Hello,

It seems that the Excel plugin (0.89) is not working for this version (0.89.8). The recent beta version (0.89.8) is a bit different that the stable one (0.89). Andrey pointed out in this thread that the new improved Excel plugin is on its way.

Regards,
Radovan
Offline SG  
#12 Posted : 24 December 2010 03:45:21(UTC)
SG

I am trying to use this plug-in to write a matrix to an Excel file. It seems to be working well for matrices smaller than about 15x15. When I try to write a large matrix, e.g. 50x50, I only get the first 20 or so rows appearing in the Excel file although I do get the correct number of columns.

I am running Smath 0.89 under windows XP with Excel 2003.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

SG
Offline maweilian  
#13 Posted : 06 April 2011 20:59:41(UTC)
maweilian

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Andrey,

Would you be willing to post a link to your source code for this plugin for the benefit of those who want to learn more about writing plugins?
Will Massie
Mechanical Engineer
Oregon, USA
Offline bliengme  
#14 Posted : 25 July 2011 15:18:27(UTC)
bliengme

When I use the addin on my Win7 desktop, I tried to send data to an existing, closed, XLS file. When I attempt to open the XLS file (with Excel2010) I get "File contains unreadable data" and it refuses to open. Any ideas?
Thanks
Offline kilele  
#15 Posted : 03 November 2012 21:46:56(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
Hello
I've thought this free opensource component might be useful to have SMath interact with Excel and Calc.
http://spreadsheetlight.com/
Offline Ricyteach  
#16 Posted : 15 December 2012 01:17:51(UTC)
Ricyteach

United States

Is there any way that this plugin could be updated to work with the current release (0.95)? It would be very helpful to me. Thanks!
Offline mkraska  
#17 Posted : 15 December 2012 04:01:49(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ricyteach Go to Quoted Post
Is there any way that this plugin could be updated to work with the current release (0.95)? It would be very helpful to me. Thanks!

you might consider using the Data export plugin by Davide Carpi (forum post).

The ExportData.CSV() function is better in that it can create files, if they do not exist and in that excel can read them without problems. Also, complete matrices and vectors can be exported in a single statement.
However, you cannot create individual sheets and cannot adress individual cells except by providing matrices of corresponding sizes.

For input from excel, you can still rely on importCell, as long as the values are integer or string.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Ricyteach  
#18 Posted : 16 December 2012 08:19:31(UTC)
Ricyteach

United States

Fantastic I'll give that a try. Thanks!