Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2016 01:28:34(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
SMath Studio 0.98.5921 available

Latest changes (against SMath Studio 0.98.5918)

• Progress of the following operations is now shown in status bar: file opening, file saving, worksheet calculation;
    0_98_statusbar_1.png
  • Performance of parsing large SMath Studio files significantly improved;
  • SS-2307: Situations when functions cannot be overridden fixed;
  • SS-27: Fixed issue with missing brackets if units of complex results are manually specified;
  • Fixed multi-threading related issue when error was shown instead of the calculation result;
  • For Boolean AND and OR operators only required parts are calculated. Unnecessary calculations are skipped now;
  • Print item enabled for SMath Studio files in Windows Explorer context menu;
    0_98_shell_print.png
  • Comparing of symbolic equations improved;
  • MSI installer is now signed by SHA256 code certificate;
  • Interface translations updated.

Download

Edited by user 19 March 2016 01:34:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 10 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 19/03/2016(UTC),  on 24/03/2016(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2016 11:53:50(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
Hello Andrey

I noticed the following issue: when I open an existing file, it starts with an history step; if I click the undo button, the worksheet goes blank, very harmful if you accidentally save the file Sorry

2016-03-20 09_42_53-SMath Studio Desktop - [User-defined Functions in SMath Studio.sm_].png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline ElSid  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2016 15:35:42(UTC)
ElSid

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I would like to request a "function" that allows for input of the SMath version and build number into the calculation sheet. On Mathcad, we were able to figure out discrepancies because some people had installed a patch and others were using an older release.
Example would be using this new 98 build 5910 and me playing with 98 build 5921 where "vectorize" is now implemented or rules being enforced differently
Originally Posted by: Andrey Ivashov Go to Quoted Post
post number 8 "P.S.: I do realize that these changes may result in errors in some existing calculations, but we need to accept these new rules in order to be sure such issues will never appear again in future + rules of a game are now defined."
Yes, this is a BETA and not "commercial", however I like to use SMath to double check some items. Right now, I am dependent on others updating their file to show what version of the software they are using.
Offline tomtit  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2016 18:12:02(UTC)
tomtit

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hello Andrey,

I recently discovered, that if I use vectorised operation on result of submatrix(v,...) and sort(v) functions,
vectorised operation doesn't work, it needs eval(submatrix(v,...)) and eval(sort(v)).
The optimization of the code is, of course, NUMERIC.

Another thing that happens, if I use NUMERIC function, returning something like mwexp(vector),
further SYMBOLIC calculations don't work with the result. I need to specify return value as eval(mwexp(vector)),
then it's OK. It might be intended behaviour, but it looks a bit fishy.

Best regards,
Igor
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2016 23:50:28(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Hello, Davide.

Originally Posted by: Davide Carpi Go to Quoted Post
I noticed the following issue: when I open an existing file, it starts with an history step; if I click the undo button, the worksheet goes blank, very harmful if you accidentally save the file Sorry

Fixed.

Thank you!
thanks 1 user thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 22/03/2016(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2016 00:51:57(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Hello, Ioan.

Originally Posted by: ioan92 Go to Quoted Post
in the example from your post #1, these 4022 of 7887 represent what - regions ? or else?

In this specific case it is about regions. But in common case it means "some internal things", f.e. numbers of frames for animated plot or plug-ins to load or anything time to process of what I am able to estimate. That is why I decided not to describe it to user and made some common notifier for all possible (i.e. future) cases.
I'm agree that this is not obvious for end user, so, I think, I will remove this counter from status bar. Instead I will add it as a progress bar tool tip (you will see this text by hovering of the progress bar) - this will still allow to see internal counter for those who need it, but will not confuse others.

the information concerning loading time vanishes when finished. Could it be conserved on the status bar.

It is by design. In future I plan to provide possibility to retrieve last status bar messages by some convenient way.

seeing that this 3 time values are sometime well different from the previously version of SMath,
it would interesting to be able recover them on the page with some functions as we do with the calculation - time() or,
at least to conserve them simultaneously on the status bar.

There is not enough space in status bar to show everything I want to show Good I have plans to improve it soon, so will take into account all your suggestions and proposals.

Thank you!

Best regards.
on 22/03/2016(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2016 00:58:26(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Hello.

Originally Posted by: ElSid Go to Quoted Post
I would like to request a "function" that allows for input of the SMath version and build number into the calculation sheet. On Mathcad, we were able to figure out discrepancies because some people had installed a patch and others were using an older release.

It is not a problem for me to add such function, but I'm not really understand how it can help you. Please could you provide some example? (imagine we already have appVersion(1) function which returns 0.98.XXXX)

Best regards.
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2016 01:05:27(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Hello, Igor.

Originally Posted by: tomtit Go to Quoted Post
I recently discovered, that if I use vectorised operation on result of submatrix(v,...) and sort(v) functions,
vectorised operation doesn't work, it needs eval(submatrix(v,...)) and eval(sort(v)).

Vectorize function will not work for functions which requires matrix/vector as argument only. We have briefly discussed it here: http://en.smath.info/forum/yaf_...arch-2016.aspx#post30971. As you see for now I have advises not to implement exceptions for such functions. That is why you need to use eval() there.

Best regards.
Offline Jean Giraud  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2016 02:57:22(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
I recently discovered, that if I use vectorised operation on result ofsubmatrix(v,...) and sort(v) functions,
The optimization of the code is, of course, NUMERIC.
...Igor

In Smath, many types of result must be transited, particularly chained functions.

Forum Vectorise Submatrix.gif

Offline ElSid  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2016 16:52:07(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Hello.
It is not a problem for me to add such function, but I'm not really understand how it can help you. Please could you provide some example? (imagine we already have appVersion(1) function which returns 0.98.XXXX)
Best regards.
Aundrey, this would be used for documentation purposes ... call maybe in the header/footer. Not too long ago, you had an issue when you posted a new Rev and the build number was wrong. Your fix was to automate the build number every time you updated the software.
Although SMath is technically a "BETA", I tend to use it as a double check to others Maths, mostly spreadsheet calculations. I then PDF my calculations and attach it as a double check and would like to document what version was used. I too would like to automate the version of SMath being used Clap
Offline Davide Carpi  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2016 17:54:46(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
appVersion() would be the current app version or the version used last time the document was saved?

What about a "diff" feature, in which SS compares the results already saved in the file and the results after a new evaluation? Different results may be highlighted (f.e with a blue frame and blue dots on the new rich scrollbars); this may be launched at once on 1st evaluation (or upon request, but this may be harder to track when changes are made by the user after opening the file)
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Alex M.  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2016 17:57:11(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Hello, Igor.

Vectorize function will not work for functions which requires matrix/vector as argument only. We have briefly discussed it here: http://en.smath.info/forum/yaf_...arch-2016.aspx#post30971. As you see for now I have advises not to implement exceptions for such functions. That is why you need to use eval() there.

Best regards.

Andrey, any thoughts on implementing the symb() alternative to eval()?

It could be useful with vectorize() to complete the loop (numeric / symbolic).
Offline ElSid  
#13 Posted : 23 March 2016 05:03:22(UTC)
ElSid

Man
United States

Davide,
A tracked changes would be nice Good, but overkill for what I am asking for. You are correct in that it would document the current version of SMath that opens the file. In my case, I PDF the file and that locks the revision for historical purposes. If I have to re-run the file for back check confirmation, the PDF will document the "new" version of SMath that I am using.
Offline Alex M.  
#14 Posted : 24 March 2016 20:12:51(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

If I try to save attached file with the cursor positioned below all the text, it will crash.

Crash is related to presence of page background image bg.png.

Fresh install of this release is used on Win7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit.

I am encouraged to use company logo / title block on all my work so I will revert back to 0.97 till this is resolved.
crash.sm (39kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
bgCrash0.png
bgCrash.png
bg.png

Edited by user 24 March 2016 20:17:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#15 Posted : 25 March 2016 02:17:53(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: Alex.M Go to Quoted Post
If I try to save attached file with the cursor positioned below all the text, it will crash.

Fixed. Thank you!

Best regards!
on 25/03/2016(UTC)
Offline Alex M.  
#16 Posted : 25 March 2016 02:38:21(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Originally Posted by: Alex.M Go to Quoted Post

Fixed. Thank you!

Best regards!

Thanks alot!!!