Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2016 19:32:04(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
SMath Studio 0.98.5918 available

Latest changes (against SMath Studio 0.98.5914)

• SS-125: Inserting Chinese symbols fixed;
  • SS-2305: Situations when it was impossible to paste part of the equation into another equation fixed;
  • SS-2280: Graphic glitch in Extension Manager form on plugin uninstall fixed;
  • SS-2298: Exception on pressing Open button from Donate dialog fixed;
  • SS-206: Unexpected worksheet scrolling on pressing Delete/Backspace when cursor is in the right part of equation fixed;
  • SS-112: Fixed issues when it was impossible to open file because of incorrect color specified in file content;
  • SS-35: Missing tooltips from side panel fixed;
  • SS-51: Issue partially handled: behavior is correct in case of work with one collapsed area - space will be adjusted automatically;
  • Implemented ability to specify printer name when printing from command prompt;
  • Worksheet evaluation starts now on print or export from command prompt (required to update regions states to display them correctly).

Download

thanks 9 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 15/03/2016(UTC),  on 15/03/2016(UTC),  on 15/03/2016(UTC),  on 15/03/2016(UTC),  on 15/03/2016(UTC),  on 15/03/2016(UTC),  on 15/03/2016(UTC),  on 16/03/2016(UTC),  on 16/03/2016(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline tomtit  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2016 05:52:19(UTC)
tomtit

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
roots2polynomial.sm (16kb) downloaded 58 time(s).

Hi Andrey,

The worksheet in attachment doesn't work in 0.98, but works fine in 0.97.
The error message is "s - not defined". It's bothering me, because of I've used the functions in several documents.
Another issue is that new version 0.98 stays non-responsive for a few minutes when I try to quit SmathStudio.

Best regards
Offline Jean Giraud  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2016 06:20:33(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
I'm incompetent wrt your long program w/o example.
Nothing to see => nothing to do. Something to see,
use the solve block ... Works fine J0, J1, Y0, Y1.

Jean

Bessel JY.sm (54kb) downloaded 55 time(s).
Offline Jean Giraud  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2016 06:55:01(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

... for the cubic equation, there is in "Samples"
a more robust "Cubic Solver"

Forum Polyroots.gif
Offline Jean Giraud  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2016 07:05:49(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

... here is EigenAll Companion

eigenAll Companion.sm (40kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
Offline mikekaganski  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2016 07:26:23(UTC)
mikekaganski

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 107 post(s)
scr1.png

You seem to cheat using one-liners that depend on inner order of evaluation. It's not fixed, may change in any new version, so it's unsafe to do that.
Also, you should keep in mind that evaluation defaults to symbolic; so in loops it's often advisable to use eval() to force SMath store direct value to a variable, instead if (sometimes very complex) recursive formula it had stacked up to this point.

roots2polynomial-fixed.sm (17kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski
thanks 2 users thanked mikekaganski for this useful post.
on 16/03/2016(UTC),  on 16/03/2016(UTC)
Offline mikekaganski  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2016 08:01:31(UTC)
mikekaganski

Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 151 time(s) in 107 post(s)
By the way, Andrey, could you please state on the following questions:

1. Currently, boolean operands are always evaluated regardless if it's already possible to deduce final result. E.g.: (x:=1)V(y:=5) will assign both x and y, despite it's enough to only calc left (or right) part to know the boolean result. Could you please confirm or refute that this will always be so (may I rely on this to create simple (not order-dependent) one-liners?).

2. Currently, boolean operands are evaluated from left to right. E.g.: (x:=1)V(eval(y:=x)) will make y to be 1, while (eval(y:=x))V(x:=1) will give an "Undefined" error. Could you please confirm or refute that this will always be so (may I rely on this to create complex (order-dependent) one-liners?).

Thank you for your work!
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski
thanks 1 user thanked mikekaganski for this useful post.
on 16/03/2016(UTC)
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2016 20:04:43(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Thank you for questions!

Originally Posted by: tomtit Go to Quoted Post
...new version 0.98 stays non-responsive for a few minutes when I try to quit SmathStudio.

I think it is because of some plug-in you have installed on your system. Try to close SMath Studio, then rename SMath folder to SMath_temp in %APPDATA%, then start SMath Studio again and try to close it to see how much time closing will take.
ss_appdata.png

Originally Posted by: tomtit Go to Quoted Post
The error message is "s - not defined". It's bothering me, because of I've used the functions in several documents.

It is because of the following string (in two places):
for_content_1.png
Starting from SMath Studio 0.98 application handles calculation parts from left to right when no other rules to follow. And it became a rule now which will remain the same in future. So you just need to change places for 1-st and 3-rd operations in your matrix:
for_content_2.png
Sorry for this, but before 0.98 order of operations in such cases was not actually strictly defined.

Originally Posted by: mikekaganski Go to Quoted Post
You seem to cheat using one-liners that depend on inner order of evaluation. It's not fixed, may change in any new version, so it's unsafe to do that.

Correction: it was unsafe. Now it is absolutely legal way to do such operations. A bit tricky, but legal.

1. Currently, boolean operands are always evaluated regardless if it's already possible to deduce final result. E.g.: (x:=1)V(y:=5) will assign both x and y, despite it's enough to only calc left (or right) part to know the boolean result. Could you please confirm or refute that this will always be so (may I rely on this to create simple (not order-dependent) one-liners?).

Very good question! For some reason (ah, my stupid head) never thought about it. But later better then never... I just did corrections to boolean AND and OR and the final results you can see on the screenshot:
new_rules_098.png

2. Currently, boolean operands are evaluated from left to right. E.g.: (x:=1)V(eval(y:=x)) will make y to be 1, while (eval(y:=x))V(x:=1) will give an "Undefined" error. Could you please confirm or refute that this will always be so (may I rely on this to create complex (order-dependent) one-liners?).

I think, answer is in the screenshot above.

P.S.: I do realize that these changes may result in errors in some existing calculations, but we need to accept these new rules in order to be sure such issues will never appear again in future + rules of a game are now defined.

Best regards!

Edited by user 16 March 2016 20:07:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 16/03/2016(UTC),  on 16/03/2016(UTC),  on 16/03/2016(UTC),  on 17/03/2016(UTC),  on 17/03/2016(UTC)
Offline tomtit  
#9 Posted : 18 March 2016 17:34:40(UTC)
tomtit

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi Andrey,

I recently found that my old worksheets that used Jacobian (some non-linear solvers) do not work properly.
To fix the issue I have to add maple(optimize(EXP)) around EXP instead of just EXP.
The good example is old UNI's Draghilev method demo sheet.
Draghilev's method. Approximation. Simple example.smz (6kb) downloaded 55 time(s). Draghilev's method. Approximation. Simple example_fixed.sm (35kb) downloaded 54 time(s).
Best regards
Offline Jean Giraud  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2016 20:15:26(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Tom,

You may want to try the more general Genfit.
It is independent of Maple. In many cases,
it works better than Mathcad 11, but more
difficult to manipulate ... price to pay.
Visit "Samples" => Genfit ... + examples.

Jean

Genfit Pharmacokinetics.sm (39kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
Offline Jean Giraud  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2016 23:09:33(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

... quick construct

Forum Quadratic.gif