Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

10 Pages«<56789>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Davide Carpi  
#121 Posted : 02 February 2014 19:10:31(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
UPDATED

- SMath Studio 0.96.5146 or later required

- [EDIT: February 10, 2014] dll direct download removed (SMath without Extensions Manager is no longer supported)

best regards,

Davide

Edited by user 10 February 2014 23:10:09(UTC)  | Reason: dll direct download removed

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 03/02/2014(UTC)
Offline Owndante  
#122 Posted : 15 December 2014 13:17:37(UTC)
Owndante

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I runned in to an issue with the exportData.ODS and exportData.XLSX function. If the *.sm file is compiled to *.exe (with save as.. name.exe), the newly created *.exe file will not create ODS or XLSX files.

Thanks.

Edited by user 15 December 2014 14:18:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Export file Test.rar (753kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
Offline Davide Carpi  
#123 Posted : 16 December 2014 01:10:41(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

This is because Viewer's Store.FileName property contains the file name of the parent SMath worksheet (I suppose is by design).

I've tried to implement a workaround (uploaded in the EM). Should works also on unix systems but I'm not sure. Test it deeply and report any issue. If it works I'll do the same for the XLSX plugin.

Best regards,

Davide

Edited by user 16 December 2014 12:21:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
Offline Owndante  
#124 Posted : 16 December 2014 12:39:02(UTC)
Owndante

Hello!

I've tested the update and now the ODS file is created.
If the exportODS function is not hidden in an area then it is working perfectly.
If you hide the exportODS function in an area then the exported (the outputfile)
ODSfile won't be refreshed if you make changes in the *.exe file (ex. ComboBox).

Thanks!
Szabi
File Attachment(s):
ComboBoxTest.rar (1,571kb) downloaded 60 time(s).
Offline Davide Carpi  
#125 Posted : 16 December 2014 18:03:12(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Using collapsed area a file is created when you open the executable, this it means that the function is evaluated; the content of the collapsed region is no more evaluated when you change the combobox item. I guess the issue is in the RequestEvaluation triggered from the combobox in the SMathViewer vs the collapsed areas, that is not in my hands (API stuff).

BUG opened: SV-1254

Edited by user 16 December 2014 21:28:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Owndante  
#126 Posted : 17 December 2014 14:04:46(UTC)
Owndante

Thanks!
Offline Alex M.  
#127 Posted : 06 March 2015 22:32:44(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Hello!

First of all - thank you for the plugin - I was playing with it for a while and it seems to import data from ODS very well.

Now, for the export function, is there a way to "modify" a single cell in existing ODS file? What I am trying to achieve is to use spreadsheet as a large data processor (it is quite good at it), while I would like to use Smath to feed variables into the spreadsheet and to get output from it.

Many thanks
Offline Davide Carpi  
#128 Posted : 07 March 2015 01:47:22(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Hello oxel007!

I guess this is not possible, at least without a third-party library to handle correctly the existing data.

If you need this, the simplest way is to reference the output spreadsheet of SMath in you spreadsheet; you have to open both the files the first time to link the cells, then your data processor will load automatically the data from the first even without opening it again (attached an example both for ODS and XLSX spreadsheets - links are shown as absolute but are relative, so if you keep the structure of the folders you can move them where do you want)
File Attachment(s):
Referencing Workbooks.zip (41kb) downloaded 57 time(s).
Offline Alex M.  
#129 Posted : 07 March 2015 04:16:25(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Davide,

I have spent some time trying to develop a complete solution that would export data from smath to xlsx or ods, recalculate the spreadsheet using new values, and import the updated output back into smath.

Unfortunately I am stuck.

1. Excel plugin does not seem to import value that is obtained by a formula (multiply one cell by another)
2. Neither XLSX nor ODS plugins update the spreadsheet using external links at the time of import.

Please see attached. If we successfully tackle this I believe it will be used by a few people - Smath and Excel are powerful tools and each has strengths and weaknesses.

Best Regards
File Attachment(s):
SpreadSheet IO.zip (76kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
Offline Davide Carpi  
#130 Posted : 07 March 2015 15:58:16(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Thank you for sharing an example.

For the 1st point I think I've found a solution, an updated XLSX Import/Export plugin is available in the EM;

For the 2nd point, both the plugins handles just data from/to the files. Data preprocessed by SMath is written in the file or data preprocessed and saved by some kind of excel program is read from the file.

This means that to get updated results from the spreadsheet you have to open it, save the updated file, and then refresh the SMath worksheet (or split the SMath worksheet in 2 worksheets: open the first worksheet, open & update & save the spreadsheet, open the second worksheet)

To accomplish your task in just one step, another plugin with functions to trigger the third-party application in background is needed (something like a MS Excel COM plugin / LibreOffice Calc COM plugin / or a plugin that handles in background any other program you have on your system)

Edited by user 07 March 2015 16:25:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Alex M.  
#131 Posted : 09 March 2015 20:24:49(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

That makes sense; possibly pyUNO can be used to update ODS file in background. However given my non-existing programming skills it is highly unlikely I will be able to incorporate it myself - I will just stick to reopening files manually.

Thank you for your help Good
Offline Davide Carpi  
#132 Posted : 10 March 2015 01:59:36(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

You're welcome... When it will be possible I'll explore this thing (I've seen a couple of interesting posts for both the APIs of excel and libreoffice)
Offline Alex M.  
#133 Posted : 11 March 2015 02:00:52(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Is there any particular way that I may assist you with this? If you point me in the right direction I could research how this feature may be implemented (xlsx files) - I am not a programmer but can attempt my best to piece pieces together.

A little bit background on why I think that is important:

Quite often we, number crunchers, have previously created spreadsheets (in Excel) to do specific tasks. Those spreadsheets have been triple checked by ourselves and others to contain no bugs. At times it is enforced that we use specific spreadsheets for specific calculations.

It would be immensely useful to use SMath Studio to input data in a given spreadsheet and to record corresponding output. In fact it will effectively make use of a spreadsheet as a monstrous data crunching formula that was previously verified to work by others. You feed in data, record output for different variable sets and present them in a readable format of SMath Workbook.

Best Regards
Offline Davide Carpi  
#134 Posted : 11 March 2015 15:22:48(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

COM plugins are a unexplored field for me. My first idea is to have something like a Calculate.MSExcel("file") / Calculate.LOCalc("file") functions; I don't know if this is possible for the whole document, anyway should be possible for a range Calculate.XYZ("file","cells").

Base documentation:
- for excel: How to: Run Excel Calculations Programmatically
- for LO: SDK 4.3: Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) examples

Edited by user 11 March 2015 15:24:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Davide Carpi  
#135 Posted : 20 January 2016 19:31:49(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

PLUGIN UPDATED SMath Studio 0.97.5737

• importData.ODS(): can access files opened by other processes (only saved data);
  • importData.ODS(): sheet name no more case-sensitive;
  • importData.ODS(3): range of cells accepted as 3rd argument;

Edited by user 20 January 2016 19:36:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 20/01/2016(UTC),  on 21/01/2016(UTC)
Offline Jean Giraud  
#136 Posted : 21 January 2016 06:40:29(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Alex.M Go to Quoted Post
It would be immensely useful to use SMath Studio to input data in a given spreadsheet and to record corresponding output. In fact it will effectively make use of a spreadsheet as a monstrous data crunching formula that was previously verified to work by others. You feed in data, record output for different variable sets and present them in a readable format of SMath Workbook.

As soon as I was given Mathcad 11 by Mathsoft, Mathcad 11 came with Excel read/write
spread sheet. In the remainng of the > 120000 Collaboratory exchange [which I read all]
not a single *.XLS [now *.ODS] were exchanged. But lot of data were referenced in
technical/scientific web sites. The universal data exchange is *.dat. If you can't
paste directly in Mathcad because you want to get rid of comments ... just transit
via NotePad and clean, then copy/paste back in Mathcad data table. That would be useful
in Smath, at least to read *.dat.
Smath is a CAS, Excel is just a spread sheet.
A very minimal amount of Smath work could be exchanged, especially wrt the miserable
way many results are obtained from Smath. In 15 years, I have not even done 2+3 in Excel.
I guess it mothballed itself.
If you like so much "Spread Sheet", OriginLab is quite a tool and superb plotter as well
as doing lot of curve fitting.

Jean

Offline Alex M.  
#137 Posted : 22 January 2016 20:48:30(UTC)
Alex M.

Canada

Originally Posted by: Jean Giraud Go to Quoted Post
In 15 years, I have not even done 2+3 in Excel.

Jean, it might not be true for you in particular, but for many in my field it is a requirement to re-use existing spreadsheets. Additionally it is hard to beat excel when you need to mass edit your formulas to correct an error or add a feature (in fact find/replace in not even an option in SMath). I would hate to make a choice between CAS and spreadsheets. Both are great; in their own ways.

Anyway, it has been quite a while since the post you are looking at - I have addressed my own request by creating plugin excel_IO, which I find very useful.

Cheers,

Alex M.

Offline Jean Giraud  
#138 Posted : 23 January 2016 02:54:50(UTC)
Jean Giraud

Canada

Was thanked: 980 time(s) in 808 post(s)
My friend: you have good arguments.
I developped my gorgeous "Thiele Continued Fraction" in Excel Millenium.
In 2005, switched to XP Home, result: zap all my previous Excel.
Lot more than Thiele. Nothing else was scrapped, only Excel.

FindReplace is more delicate than it looks: exact value, range ...

This work sheet works for me, why not for you ?

Jean

Utilities Matrix Find_Replace.sm (20kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
thanks 2 users thanked Jean Giraud for this useful post.
on 23/01/2016(UTC),  on 23/01/2016(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#139 Posted : 23 January 2016 14:53:32(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Beautiful function your FindReplace function Jean Good

I think he is looking for a general search & replace, both for math and text and able to acting on the whole worksheet.

I'm working on something, search works pretty fine with small limitations

Edited by user 23 January 2016 14:58:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 23/01/2016(UTC),  on 23/01/2016(UTC),  on 23/01/2016(UTC)
Offline PompelmoTell  
#140 Posted : 05 April 2016 12:25:44(UTC)
PompelmoTell

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Hello Davide,
I have problems with the export XeLaTeX.
First it is highlighted exception
Proceeding is inhibited the choice of options
Proceeding is nevertheless produced a tex file
You must still add the following line in the markup to fill in XeLaTeX

\newcommand{\defeq}{\coloneq} % SMath 'define equal' symbol

PS some addition function is not implemented, however, the qualitative result of the prints obtained is much higher than that of normal export pdf. I would hate a little if this project was abandoned

sergio