Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Davide Carpi  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2013 18:58:00(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Italy

Was thanked: 1323 time(s) in 873 post(s)
SMath Studio compatibility SMath Viewer compatibility mono compatibility

extension page Sources MIT license

>>> PLEASE REPORT HERE ANY ISSUE <<<

Edited by user 24 June 2020 16:57:13(UTC)  | Reason: badges

File Attachment(s):
TableRegion.sm (296kb) downloaded 1,191 time(s).
Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
2014-02-15 01_34_42-SMath Studio Desktop - [testRegion2.sm].png
table.png
2014-01-21 18_40_12-SMath Studio Desktop - [Page1].png
TR.png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 3 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 11/08/2013(UTC),  on 16/02/2014(UTC),  on 17/01/2016(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline kilele  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2013 20:17:44(UTC)
kilele

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
I saw this beta yesterday on the online gallery, and let out little squeals of excitement but don't know well what it is.
Does it work like excel tables expandable and referencing to equations written on other places of the canvas ?
Offline Davide Carpi  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2013 21:43:42(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Originally Posted by: ioan92 Go to Quoted Post
Very nice but what's the password ?

Too fast ioan, there are many things to do and to fix before a relase Biggrin

Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
I saw this beta yesterday on the online gallery, and let out little squeals of excitement but don't know well what it is.
Does it work like excel tables expandable and referencing to equations written on other places of the canvas ?

Is a region that show a SMath Studio numerical variable as written in a table; basically is an image, the look is customizable using the context menu (a cell editor like excel is too complicated to make for me); as for now there's only the body, I'll try to add other things (those shown in the dialog above and schematized below (colored boxes are all "optionals", as general idea); the hardest thing will be surely unit's handling Grabli ...

Best regards,

Davide

Edited by user 11 August 2013 22:00:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Davide Carpi attached the following image(s):
Senza nome.pdn (98%) - Paint.NET v3.5.10.png
If you like my plugins consider to support SMath Studio buying a plan; to offer me a coffee: paypal.me/dcprojects
thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 11/08/2013(UTC)
Offline kilele  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2013 22:09:01(UTC)
kilele

I meant something to accomplish grafically this request of mkraska presented on his handbook (whishlist section). I think he mentioned it as well on this post.
One could assign a reference to an equation for each column, and there could be a way to add/remove rows. Maybe this is possible with a simpler interface and restricting options that are allowed by spreadsheet programs.
kilele attached the following image(s):
rangedVariables.png
Offline kilele  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2013 00:56:27(UTC)
kilele

Davide, please take a look at this code by another Davide. Davide et impera!! Biggrin
http://www.codeproject.c...en-Source-C-Grid-Control

Edited by user 12 August 2013 00:59:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2013 09:01:01(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post
Davide, please take a look at this code by another Davide. Davide et impera!! Biggrin
http://www.codeproject.c...en-Source-C-Grid-Control

The Table region represented by our Davide Good looks very nice. It seems very interesting and colorful. Users who wanted more formatting features would be satisfied with this Acute
On the other hand, the grid control made by another Davide has a very appreciated and long time awaited thing (at least by me). That is the sliders on the right and on the top of table region for representing a large matrices. I do not know if our Davide would introduce this feature. By the way, I was just satisfied with the nice handy tool SMathMatrixEditor. I thought this table representation will be introduced directly into SMath like some kind of region for representing large matrices, but unfortunately it did not happen Sad

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2013 12:26:37(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
Just want to mention that the matrix editor is part of the unofficial distribution.

I agree with Radovan and kilele that matrix/table editing features are much higher on the wish-list than corresponding display features. I guess that faking a real editor using the customregions interface with just a single placeholder is close to impossible or at least, inefficient.

Davide, to be honest, there are quite some topics on my wish-list, where all my hope rests on you, first of all the unit-proof functions (linsolve(), int(), Im(), Re(), arg()...) I just hope that the table region won't kill all chances for progress in these issues.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 12/08/2013(UTC)
Offline kilele  
#8 Posted : 12 August 2013 13:14:54(UTC)
kilele

Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post

Davide, to be honest, there are quite some topics on my wish-list, where all my hope rests on you, first of all the unit-proof functions (linsolve(), int(), Im(), Re(), arg()...) I just hope that the table region won't kill all chances for progress in these issues.

It need not necessarily to be a spreadheet or a complex editor, nor it is necessary to use all the features of that grid control, actually it could all be operated from the context menu, as Radovan said it'd be nice a way to display large matrices with sliders (maybe collapsible areas, a search function). Also conditional formatting is a useful feature on spreadsheets. I'm sure that Davide will come up with some elegant and simple solution. Air kiss

Edited by user 12 August 2013 13:16:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 12/08/2013(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#9 Posted : 12 August 2013 18:41:49(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

The possibility to display wide tables is in my mind, I've already a couple of ideas...

I'm very cautious about the possibility to edit matrices (and then systems or tables);
the actual SMath approach is very clear, because if you want to change something in an existing matrix you have two ways:
- manually: copy & paste the matrix to a new definition and edit;
- by programming: use el(), stack(), augment(), submatrix() to create "by routines" a different matrix;

the first (matrix editing on definitions) must be improved, and there are no objections; Good
the second (matrix editing on evaluations) works fine and keep trace of any change; here a manual editing could be very dangerous, if is not distinguishable; I hope no one thinks on a similar feature.
I've a lot of spreadsheets where a "temporary edit" to cover non common situations is become a hidden bug. Wallbash Help

Edited by user 12 August 2013 21:16:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 13/08/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#10 Posted : 12 August 2013 20:46:55(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I totally agree. Editing results of evaluations must not be allowed, except for formatting.

If there is an actual possibility to define the variable in the placeholder of the custom region, then there might be a chance to generate a nice data editor, just like the table feature in Mathcad (which is for input only).
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
on 12/08/2013(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#11 Posted : 13 August 2013 13:41:25(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Hi Ioan, Good

Like anyone else I want a better matrix's editing (select by columns/rows by ctrl+drag and the insert/delete by context menu, f.e. would be a very nice feature Happy ) but the question may be focused, because actions on definitions may be different from actions on evaluations; I agree that "a knife could be used as well in the kitchen as to kill somebody" but in the 99% of the cases, if you kill someone with a knife is because you want to use the knife against a man (instead of a beefsteak), and all those who have the opportunity to attend the scene recognize immediately that you're not peeling an apple, so the bad use is wanted and recognizable.
IMHO a manual editing "on the fly" on evaluated variables may be possible only if is easily recognizable, so "less manual" as possible; f.e. a region where you can see an outline of the matrix with red rows/colums where the region delete the rows and green rows/colums where new ones are placed (and maybe another color for cells where elements are replaced); here input and output are separated (by the region, like for the Andrey ComboBox), the intermediate steps are visibles, and the front end is "user friendly".
As I've written, hidden changes may be easily converted into hidden bugs (sometimes I open a worksheet after months, I can't remember all, other times I share the worksheets; and don't forget that if you can edit manually an evaluation, you can do it because you want it or because you have pressed something not intentionally Grabli ); is not ethical, are survival things Good

Best regards,

Davide

Edited by user 13 August 2013 13:50:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Davide Carpi for this useful post.
on 13/08/2013(UTC),  on 13/08/2013(UTC)
Offline mkraska  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2013 19:17:50(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Being able to change 1+1=2 to 1+1=3 might be appropriate for excel or microsoft mathematics, but I still can't see the benefit of this possibility for a math program.

If you need to edit the computation results in order to get what you want to show, because your formula does not work as expected, you are not doing math but just cheating (or you found a bug or want to illustrate a feature request...).

Edited by user 13 August 2013 19:23:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Offline mkraska  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2013 01:07:59(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

@Martin,
Your words seems much excessive, thinking that your image on things is a definitive and exclusive one!
Indeed I was hoping that the ban of editing IN DISPLAY CONTEXT as opposed to INPUT CONTEXT could be agreed on in the community. This might be due to me overestimating the value of the principle that an SMath computation documents itself based on what I see is what is computed. Perhaps I could change my mind based on a convincing example of where display contents editing is useful.

In fact, Davide gave a good interpretation on what I said.

Martin, words can hurt, especially when unjust and superficials...Sad
I totally misunderstood you. I had the impression that you in fact did not agree to what Davide said and that you were questioning the traceability concern. But even if that was so, there was no intent to hurt, just to be clearly understood. Sorry for any pain.
Martin Kraska

on 14/08/2013(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#14 Posted : 21 January 2014 20:26:34(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

And finally something is available (look the first post)! I Hope this will improve our fun Happy

Best regards,

Davide

P.S. About the unit summary I've sent a request to Andrey by mail; if my request or something similar will be implemented the workaround provided in the attachment in the first post will be no longer required.

[edit] silent updates
- fixed size of ellipsis for units' summary;
- fixed 1x1 units summary matrices vs row/column vectors;

Edited by user 22 January 2014 04:33:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

on 21/01/2014(UTC),  on 22/01/2014(UTC)
Offline Davide Carpi  
#15 Posted : 22 January 2014 18:31:02(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

[UPDATED]

- Improved compatibility between different localization settings;
- Number format now uses SMath's decimal separator instead of system's separator;
- Code Improved (units summary changes, size's calculation flow).
on 22/01/2014(UTC),  on 15/02/2014(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#16 Posted : 22 January 2014 20:31:52(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
This is a nice one, Davide. Thank you Good

By the way, I did not figure out if there is a default table size. For instance, if the table is 30x30 then not to presented it in full size in the first place, in order to shrink it then for the presentation in the worksheet - but to represent only say 10x10 first rows and columns.

Regards,
Radovan
When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline PompelmoTell  
#17 Posted : 22 January 2014 22:53:30(UTC)
PompelmoTell

Man
Italy

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
great job Davide,
I just want to report a small problem to open your sample file attachment in post #1 TableRegion.sm
I had to manually edit the file and change the size of font that had the decimal point, with a full size.
Smath Studio Desktop Portable 0.96 - Win7 64 bit

sergio
Offline Davide Carpi  
#18 Posted : 23 January 2014 01:45:42(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
This is a nice one, Davide. Thank you Good

By the way, I did not figure out if there is a default table size. For instance, if the table is 30x30 then not to presented it in full size in the first place, in order to shrink it then for the presentation in the worksheet - but to represent only say 10x10 first rows and columns.

Regards,
Radovan

As for now the default size is the entire table (this is driven by the change of the data size - rows or columns); I've thinked to add an optional restriction on the page size but actually it's not easy (the plugin code need some improvements); your idea seems much more easy to implement Good

Originally Posted by: PompelmoTell Go to Quoted Post
great job Davide,
I just want to report a small problem to open your sample file attachment in post #1 TableRegion.sm
I had to manually edit the file and change the size of font that had the decimal point, with a full size.
Smath Studio Desktop Portable 0.96 - Win7 64 bit

sergio

Thank you Sergio, I've forget to replace some functions; I've updated the plugin and now the Fonts should work Good

Many thanks to anyone for any feedback Good

Davide

Edited by user 23 January 2014 01:49:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Pablo001  
#19 Posted : 29 January 2014 11:53:24(UTC)
Pablo001

Spain

Hello, I am newbie in smath.
I'm playing with it, it seems amazing and I wanted to thank you for your work.
I have a little question regarding "Table Region": Is it compatible with the "SMath viewer"? It does not work to me.

Many thanks from Spain,
Pablo.

Offline Davide Carpi  
#20 Posted : 29 January 2014 19:20:41(UTC)
Davide Carpi

Man
Italy

Hi Pablo, welcome to our community Good

Originally Posted by: Pablo001 Go to Quoted Post
I have a little question regarding "Table Region": Is it compatible with the "SMath viewer"? It does not work to me.

Usually I implement the Smath Viewer feature as last thing, so as for now you can't produce executables with tables...

BTW I've already made some tests, but I've noticed some bugs, so I don't know when I'll relase the plugin with this feature.