Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2013 02:58:07(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 666 post(s)
Nightly build: SMath Studio 0.96.4909 available

Important notes

• Remove all third-party plug-ins from "plugins" folder of previous installed SMath Studio before installing SMath Studio 0.96.4902.

Latest changes (against SMath Studio 0.96.4902)

• Handbooks added to Extensions Manager;
  • Ability to use ";" character as arguments separator restored;
  • Added ability to edit link text of Text Region if worksheet in edit mode (use Ctrl+Click to open linked document);
  • Fixed issue appears sometimes on Context menu loading for focused or selected Regions;
  • Fixed issue appears on saving document opened by link from another worksheet (initial worksheet was overridden);
  • Fixed issue appeared on plug-ins loading;
  • Fixed invalidation issue on focus regions based on RegionHolder (f.e. Plot Region);
  • Fixed issue when it was impossible to get current file name from plugin;
  • Language files updated;
  • Refactoring.

Download

Edited by user 10 June 2013 03:16:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 10/06/2013(UTC),  on 10/06/2013(UTC),  on 10/06/2013(UTC),  on 10/06/2013(UTC),  on 10/06/2013(UTC),  on 10/06/2013(UTC),  on 29/01/2014(UTC)

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your SMath Studio Forum forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline mkraska  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2013 03:33:21(UTC)
mkraska

Groups: Registered
Germany

Was thanked: 1120 time(s) in 718 post(s)
Andrey, thanks for the new late night update.
I confirm that the ; issue is resolved and handbook-editing is much improved (link access and overwrite problem solved).
Still I can't install the plotregions by uni, are they due for recompilation or should the current versions work?
Again had to remove them manually.
Not so easy any more to add plugins manually.

EDIT: Plugin problems affect the portable version. With the linux version (under Win7) no problems.

Still on the wishlist for handbook writing is the access to the link target, or is there currently a way to specify target files from within SMath?

Edited by user 10 June 2013 13:25:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2013 08:31:50(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Groups: Developers, Registered, Knovel Developers, Administrators, Advanced Member
Man
Russian Federation

Originally Posted by: mkraska Go to Quoted Post

For test purposes use plugins folder from Program Files - no structure changes there.

Regards.
Offline omorr  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2013 08:34:30(UTC)
omorr

Groups: Registered, Advanced Member
Man
Serbia

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 268 post(s)
Thank you Andrey

I like this frequency of SMath updating Good

Not quite sure about the links. I now tried the Martin's example Links and noted that CTRL+Click will open the linked worksheets (Reference Book links are still working with mouse click). He inserted those links manually by editing the files (which is not a desirable thing to work with). I still think (and I vote for that) that the best way to write some official Help files, tutorials etc is by using SMath worksheets with links (similar to Reference Book).

Regards,
Radovan

Edited by user 10 June 2013 09:34:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

When Sisyphus climbed to the top of a hill, they said: "Wrong boulder!"
Offline mkraska  
#5 Posted : 10 June 2013 09:23:27(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: smath Go to Quoted Post

For test purposes use plugins folder from Program Files - no structure changes there.

Regards.

I tested the portable version. Not so easy to access the dafault folders there ;-)

Now tried the linux version (under windows, as ususal) and there everything is fine. I can install and use the plotregions by uni and
I can install everything that I need for testing.

As to the difference of the link behaviour between my handbook snippets and the official reference: this is just due to different setting in the file properties (setting of the "editable" flag).

This release is a great candidate for becoming new productive system. Thanks again, Andrey.
Martin Kraska

Pre-configured portable distribution of SMath Studio: https://smath.com/wiki/SMath_with_Plugins.ashx
thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#6 Posted : 10 June 2013 09:55:10(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

I tried to put an unofficial plugin made for this release (by Davide Carpi - not in the Gallery yet) in ProgramFiles plugins folder and it works fine Good

Regards,
Radovan

EDIT: The Linux(mono) version under Ubuntu works for me. It seems to work fine, except the mentioned problem of closing SMath when closing Extension Manager. But, the good news is that that when you install the things localy, close Extension Manager (this will close SMath too), all the local installs are there Good

Edited by user 10 June 2013 10:32:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2013 13:58:20(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Originally Posted by: omorr Go to Quoted Post
It seems to work fine, except the mentioned problem of closing SMath when closing Extension Manager. But, the good news is that that when you install the things localy, close Extension Manager (this will close SMath too), all the local installs are there Good

Under win7 I do not have that problem with the linux version. I generally recommend to install the linux version for win users, as this leaves the existing installation of SMath unaffected. I shall soon release a new inofficial distribution with the available plugins include, based on that linux version.

Martin Kraska

thanks 1 user thanked mkraska for this useful post.
on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline omorr  
#8 Posted : 10 June 2013 14:42:55(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

It seems to work fine, except the mentioned problem of closing SMath when closing Extension Manager. But, the good news is that that when you install the things localy, close Extension Manager (this will close SMath too), all the local installs are there Good

Under win7 I do not have that problem with the linux version. I generally recommend to install the linux version for win users, as this leaves the existing installation of SMath unaffected. I shall soon release a new inofficial distribution with the available plugins include, based on that linux version.

Thank you Martin Good ,

As mentioned before, this version might be more suitable for distribution to my students (and colleagues as well).
Even better would be the *.exe portable with the plugins included. I do not know if this could be even possible Umnik .

Regards,
Radovan

Offline kilele  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2013 15:27:22(UTC)
kilele

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)

Even better would be the *.exe portable with the plugins included. I do not know if this could be even possible Umnik

Curiously enough I told Martin a possible way to accomplish this, If I understood well your request.
This is something that I haven't experimented myself (ideally one would have to check the actual portability like where it'd actually save the settings). The idea would be to use a virtualization software, the same as Andrey does for the portable version, but without including the .Net2.0 framework.
I would prefer that the official version was a non-virtualized installation without embedding the .Net framework, saving all settings in the SMath folder. Actually I expect that some guy of Portableapps.com will address Andrey when their next platform (which will support .NET apps) is ready.
The process would be the following:

-create an account on cameyo.com to use their 'virtual app builder'
-make an exe out of Martin's zip file: I use IZArc as a compression utility, just right-click over the zip file and select 'izarc->creat self extracting exe'Wink
-upload this exe to cameyo to create a virtual package hopefully portable, this manual could be useful to bear this creature Biggrin
Offline kilele  
#10 Posted : 10 June 2013 15:28:33(UTC)
kilele

Even better would be the *.exe portable with the plugins included. I do not know if this could be even possible Umnik

Curiously enough I told Martin a possible way to accomplish this, If I understood well your request.
This is something that I haven't experimented myself (ideally one would have to check the actual portability like where it'd save the settings). The idea is to use a virtualization software, the same as Andrey does for the portable version, but without including the .Net2.0 framework.
I would prefer that the official version was a non-virtualized installation without embedding the .Net framework, saving all settings in the SMath folder. Actually I expect that some guy of Portableapps.com will address Andrey when their next platform (which will support .NET apps) is ready.

-create an account at cameyo.com to use their 'virtual app builder'
-make an exe out of Martin's zip file: I use IZArc as a compression utility, just right-click over the zip file and select 'izarc->creat self extracting exe'
-upload this exe to cameyo to create a virtual package hopefully portable, this manual could be useful to bear this creature Biggrin

Edit:

Another way is forcing the Mono distribution save all settings in SMath's directory, if you mean to use a fully portable version with plugins pre-installed. References:
Creating A Portable App: A Guerilla Field Guide
[DirectoriesMove]
launcher.ini

Edited by user 10 June 2013 17:11:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked kilele for this useful post.
on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline sija  
#11 Posted : 10 June 2013 15:34:08(UTC)
sija

Man
Poland

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hello Andrey,

Thank you for the next version of your splendid programme. Thank you that we can use your application under the freeware licence.

The best regards,
Janusz
Offline omorr  
#12 Posted : 10 June 2013 17:24:44(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Originally Posted by: kilele Go to Quoted Post

This is something that I haven't experimented myself (ideally one would have to check the actual portability like where it'd save the settings). The idea is to use a virtualization software, the same as Andrey does for the portable version, but without including the .Net2.0 framework.

-make an exe out of Martin's zip file: I use IZArc as a compression utility, just right-click over the zip file and select 'izarc->creat self extracting exe'

Edit:

Another way is forcing the Mono distribution save all settings in SMath's directory, if you mean to use a fully portable version with plugins pre-installed. References:
[DirectoriesMove]
launcher.ini

I remember we discussed long time ago about PortableApps and SMath. I think Andrey did not have enough time regarding this issue. However, if someone is willing to do that following your ideas - it would be quite appreciated. I might try this, but these things are far away from my capabilities.

Regards,
Radovan

Offline omorr  
#13 Posted : 10 June 2013 21:30:27(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

Edit:

[DirectoriesMove]
launcher.ini

We were discussion about PortableApps and SMath, and I think that Andrey did not have enough time to make SMath suitable enough for PortableApps. If someone is willing to do that and to include the plugins in it, it would be appreciated (it is beyond my capabilities, sorry Blush )

Regards,
Radovan

Regards,
Radovan
Offline mkraska  
#14 Posted : 10 June 2013 22:38:51(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I confirm that. So far I consider the portable version based on the linux distribution to be completely sufficient for portable work. The file structure is transparent and all extensions and settings are saved next to the executable. Thus if you have that on a stick or in the cloud, you have all you need, regardles of what computer or user account you use. Therefore I did not dig into alternatives.

EDIT: This is true only for the official portable version (unfortunately not compatible with the region plugins by uni).

I'd rather focus on extending the active handbook prototype, now that production conditions have improved.

Edited by user 10 June 2013 23:48:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Martin Kraska

Offline omorr  
#15 Posted : 10 June 2013 22:55:30(UTC)
omorr

Man
Serbia

I confirm that. So far I consider the portable version based on the linux distribution to be completely sufficient for portable work. The file structure is transparent and all extensions and settings are saved next to the executable. Thus if you have that on a stick or in the cloud, you have all you need, regardles of what computer or user account you use. Therefore I did not dig into alternatives.

I'd rather focus on extending the active handbook prototype, now that production conditions have improved.

I agree, but just one thing do not understand at the moment. I have both versions, official and linux (portable), on the same computer but It seems they share some things and Extension Manger is having in its "Local Storage" the same thing for both versions - I thing this is in AppsData folder. Martin, regarding this could you please explain to me what is the meaning of this: "The file structure is transparent and all extensions and settings are saved next to the executable".

Regards,
Radovan
thanks 1 user thanked omorr for this useful post.
on 10/06/2013(UTC)
Offline kilele  
#16 Posted : 10 June 2013 23:37:07(UTC)
kilele

I agree with Radovan that it does not seem fitting that all of your installations, portable and desktop, share their settings in the same location: I think it's this path:
\Users\YourNameUser\AppData\Roaming\SMath\settings.inf
There may not happen any conflict, like this one reported here when uninstalling SMath, but it's strange to change the language or decimal separator in one version and open another one and see reflected those changes.

I want to remark that the Mono-portable version is very nice because all of your files can be syncronized in the cloud both in Linux and Windows.

Edited by user 11 June 2013 00:00:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#17 Posted : 10 June 2013 23:46:41(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

I agree, but just one thing do not understand at the moment. I have both versions, official and linux (portable), on the same computer but It seems they share some things and Extension Manger is having in its "Local Storage" the same thing for both versions - I thing this is in AppsData folder. Martin, regarding this could you please explain to me what is the meaning of this: "The file structure is transparent and all extensions and settings are saved next to the executable".
Regards,
Radovan

The meaning is that I didn't check that carefully enough. You are right, the linux version uses appdata storage. I just was mislead by remainders of the official portable version in the same directory. Not really smart testing, sorry for confusing you, need more sleep...
I guess that a portable version with extensions can still be made, but the settings are not included in portability. This might be acceptable, if the distro is just for distributing, not for mobile use.

If the official portable version would be more stable, then this would be an alternative. Just download all you need and then collect the directory contents into a new distro zip, including your preferential settings.
Martin Kraska

Offline Andrey Ivashov  
#18 Posted : 11 June 2013 01:02:09(UTC)
Andrey Ivashov

Man
Russian Federation

Small hint: if you put file with name "portable.version" near SMath Studio exe file - you will have the same behavior for "settings.inf" file as you can see in official Portable package. Hope this will help.

Regards.
thanks 2 users thanked Andrey Ivashov for this useful post.
on 11/06/2013(UTC),  on 11/06/2013(UTC)
Offline kilele  
#19 Posted : 11 June 2013 01:37:05(UTC)
kilele

Good pilferer trick!!
Do you mean renaming like this for the mono setup ?
"Portable.0_96_4909.SMathStudio_Desktop"
SMath loads with an error message: io execption file name not encountered..
Should a settings.inf appear in the same directory ? Wink

Edited by user 11 June 2013 01:40:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mkraska  
#20 Posted : 11 June 2013 02:21:22(UTC)
mkraska

Germany

Small hint: if you put file with name "portable.version" near SMath Studio exe file - you will have the same behavior for "settings.inf" file as you can see in official Portable package. Hope this will help.

Regards.

That works and should do the job for creating a clonable and portable installation. Did not check the settings independence yet, but after adding the mentioned file (empty, just with the given name), the Linux version forgets about everything in the appdata dir and starts to fill the extension subdir in the same directory as the exe. Thus in the end we get the behaviour which Radovan asked for and which I claimed that we already have. And in fact, we had, just I did not know ;-)

More such cheat codes available? Just like "symbolic.integrate", "everything.unitproof"...?
Martin Kraska